Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License in Avery County
ALL APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL SOCIAL SECURITY CARD
BOTH parties must be present when applying for the marriage license.
The marriage may be performed anywhere within NC. Application Requirements: (Please read carefully)
Proof of Age and Identity ***Note – both original social security card and a photo ID must be presented at time of application***
Applicants (both bride and groom) may use one (1) of the following forms of identification :
- Driver’s license (may not be expired), or
- State-issued I.D. Card (may not be expired), or
- Passport (may not be expired), or
- Military I.D. (may not be expired)
Applicants (bride and groom) 16 or 17 years of age must have parental consent, photo ID, and certified copies of their birth certificate in order to acquire a license.
Applicants (bride and groom) 15 years of age must present certified court order authorizing marriage from District Court Judge.
Cost and Location to obtain marriage license
Applicants (bride and groom) who wish to obtain their marriage licenses in Avery County may complete their application at the Avery County Register of Deeds office.
Applicants (bride and groom) must show their identification and sign the marriage license at the Avery County Register of Deeds office. Marriage licenses are issued between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding County-observed holidays. Call (828) 733-8260 if you need more information.
Divorced applicants (bride and groom) must provide the month and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized, the applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree. There is no waiting period between the divorce and applying for the new license. The Avery County Register of Deeds does not handle divorces.
More Information About Getting Married in North Carolina
Persons do NOT need to be residents of North Carolina to marry in Avery County or North Carolina.
- A premarital physical is NOT required.
- Marriages may be performed by an ordained minister of any religious denomination, a minister authorized by a church, a magistrate. Two witnesses are required.
- During regular business hours, marriages are performed in the Avery County Courthouse Annex by a magistrate.
Obtaining Certified Copies
You can purchase a certified copy of your marriage license for $10.00. You can acquire a certified copy by visiting our office.
The Avery County Register of Deeds can only provide copies of marriage licenses that were issued by the Avery County Register of Deeds office. Contact NC Vital Records for other marriage records.
If You Want to Change Your Last Name
- You should obtain a certified copy of your marriage license (following the ceremony) for a name change on your driver’s license and your Social Security card. Wait at least TEN days after the ceremony before requesting copies to allow sufficient time to return your license to us. You may acquire a certified copy by visiting our office
- In your request, please include the name of bride and groom and the date of the marriage. Certified copies of your marriage license are $10 each. Check or cash will be accepted.
- Present the certified copy to both the Department of Motor Vehicles and the Social Security Administration.
If You Do Not Have A Social Security Number
Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. The affidavit is available in the Register of Deeds office.
Note: A foreigner admitted to the United States for permanent residence or to engage in employment must be issued a Social Security number. A foreigner not eligible for a Social Security card but who was legally admitted to the United States can use an individual identification number (ITIN) in lieu of a Social Security number. To obtain an ITIN number, contact the IRS Tax Administration Office to fill out a W-7 form.
If You Have More Questions or need to request your certificate by mail:
- Call (828) 733-8260 Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Or mail request to:
Avery County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 87
Newland, NC 28657